This is a replica of the dig tree, marked by Ludwig Leichhardt in 1844 during his exploration of our local area. He marked the tree to indicate the location of buried food and journals.
Leichhardt named the Comet River after sighting a comet while camped here. The little town of Comet (originally Cometville) now bears the name.
Posted in response to